Thursday, January 11, 2007

Snow Day!

Not to reiterate the obvious, but this has been a strange weather year.

Many winters we don't see any snow at all. Rain, rain and more rain - and in normal circumstances maybe one day with snow.

This year we have had three snow storms, three (or four?) bad windstorms, and record breaking rainfall. The girls have been out of school on snow days so much they will be making up snow days until July.

Being from Montana everyone expects that this should be no problem for me. The problem is that Montana snow is extremely dry and powdery - it basically has no moisture content at all. Here, however, the snow is heavy and wet - and it immediately turns to ice, coating the roadways with inch deep sheets of the skating rink material. If you don't have a zamboni, don't even bother trying to drive.

So, for the second day, we are at home. I secretly love it, but unfortunately have no vacation time left to take at work so it goes unpaid. Oh well...the girls and I are having a blast having snowball fights, playing board games and drinking cocoa.

Happy snow day everyone!

My poor cold house.

Look at the power lines! They have about three inches of snow on them.


Mysterious footprints.


The brave and chilly Minty Squirrel.

10 Comments:

At 11:16 AM, Blogger Ant said...

It's global warming I tells ya! Or... global cooling. Something like that anyway - a result of us using too much deodorant or cows farting too much or something... :op

Happy snow day! It looks brilliant, I want to come over and run in all the unbroken snow!

 
At 12:13 PM, Blogger Christine said...

It's weird weather in Philadelphia too. This past Saturday was 70 degrees and we had our first snow flurry yesterday (a mere 4 DAYS! after the flipflop weather) and no real snow to speak of yet. Weird.

And also, I am jealous. I want a snow day!

 
At 4:25 AM, Blogger Sturdy Girl said...

snow days are great. I want one, but not until I'm back from vacation.

 
At 10:48 AM, Blogger Bobo the Wandering Pallbearer said...

Soooooooooooooooooo jealous! We only get snow donw here once or twice a year, but this year we ain't even getting chilly.

Yay Minty Squirrel! That picture is just too cute!

 
At 1:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You mean there are places in the country that are getting winter?

I thought that had been called off this year.

 
At 2:48 PM, Blogger Ant said...

Tag - you're it!

Haha! Can't catch me!

*Pulls Shari's pigtails*

:op

 
At 3:59 AM, Blogger rich bachelor said...

Now, why in the hell don't we get things like that in Portland? All it does here is be extremely cold...And that's it. It's like a bad dream, although one with a great deal of sun, at times.

And 'Minty Squirrel'? That's just too...Too. It's always wonderful to hear what people name their cars. I had a Datsun B-210, when I lived in Olympia, that could not help but call Dude Kurt F**k.

(I'm not certain what your policy is regarding profanity around here, but I never do that asterisk thing, in general. It's cowardly.)

 
At 8:42 AM, Blogger fakies said...

It's -2 here today, but the windchill is about 14 below. The sun keeps shining, just to mock us lest we think it might actualy melt our snow.

 
At 8:46 PM, Blogger Shari said...

Ant - Yes, I agree. Global cooling it is. And I am working on that "I'm it" thing.

Christine - Just come visit me! Too bad you can't bring your Dance, Dance Revolution, though.

Love Monkey - Vacation? What's that?

Bobo - Yes, Minty is adorable with a bit o' snow, isn't he?

This Girl - Yes, and it's is apparently right here. Dammit.

Rich Bachelor - You are totally invited to swear up a storm. Shit! See? It's totally fine!

Trinamick - You just HAVE to one-up me, don't you? Fine. You win with your "minus 2" and all. :)

 
At 2:23 AM, Blogger Squishi said...

You want to know something? I've seen snow ONCE in my life, and that was only on a trip to Tasmania and up the highest mountain there.

Snow... lovely lovely snow!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative 
Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.