Monday, February 06, 2006

What We Did This (Superbowl) Weekend

I'm going to say it to get it out in the open, I've never been a big fan of cheerleading. I kind of look at it like, oh....I don't know....the embodiment of evil? Yeah...that's about right.

So, when both my girls asked if they could please, please, please go to a cheerleading clinic I bravely held my tongue. I firmly believe that what may be one person's embodiment of evil is not necessarily another's. Just as Kahlil Gibran says in "The Prophet"......


"Your children are not your children. They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself. They come through you but not from you, and though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts, for they have their own thoughts. You may house their bodies but not their souls, for their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow, which you cannot visit, not even in you dreams...."

Yep, not even in my wildest dreams can I try to convince them to hate cheerleading.

Sigh.

If they decided that they want to be cheerleaders, let me tell you, I would be the proudest parent in the bleachers. I would probably deny I ever hated the idea. I am with them 100% of the way. You know? Sometimes it is HARD being a parent.

Practice. I don't have any idea where either of the girls are in this picture.


That night they performed at half time. Their Dad did not think he needed to be there (grumble bastard grumble). I didn't want to be sitting alone in the stands - again - so I called my friend Kristy. Not only did her and her girlfriend come, but she made a sign. My girls were the only ones with a sign. It was so cool!

This was right at the beginning of the halftime show. Sophie is in the front row, 4 to the right of the cheerleader on the far left. And if you look almost directly in the middle of the picture, Maya is the one in the turquoise skirt.

I, once again, showed my dorkiness and inability to deal with excitement by crying all over the place like they were the half-time entertainment at the SuperBowl or something. Why am I always the only parent brought to tears by stuff like this? It must be because my children are so obviously superior....... :)

Speaking of the SuperBowl.... Bummer for Seattle, eh? But the girls and I hosted a bangin' party.

The sun came out for the first time in over a month. I am not exaggerating. Maya is demonstrating the typical Seattle reaction to that big, warm, glowing thing in the sky.

Sophie got into a spring cleaning frenzy and swept the front step.

Right after this picture I mowed the lawn. If I didn't, with sun like that, the grass would grow quickly and engulf the house by sunset.

Snack consumption commences. Maya, Sophie and their friend Grace are raring to go!

And then 5 minutes into the game......

I abandoned my position that had been trying to pull me into the napping blackhole. (note the empty space next to Sophie) Since the game didn't come out the way I would have hoped, maybe I should have just succumbed.


While spellchecking this post, "cheerleaders" keep coming up with the suggestion "charlatans". That made me laugh.

3 Comments:

At 12:40 PM, Blogger melissa said...

Spell check can be verrrry interesting sometimes!

The sign was great, and I really could pick the girls out of the crowd! How cute!

 
At 8:58 AM, Blogger Christine said...

Aww, it's okay, I'm sure as they get older they will realize the pure evil that cheerleading is.

But I must say they are the two cutest charlatans I've ever seen.

 
At 3:37 AM, Blogger Squishi said...

We don't have cheerleading here in Australia. There are slutty girls who expose themselves in the grand finals, but really, we don't cheerlead.

And I think we're a better country for it.

Life is NOT all about being a cheerleader and popular and having the thighs of a baby giraffe while being flung in the air by gay guys in tights.

(Although the men probably don't agree)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative 
Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.