Thursday, January 26, 2006

I Admit It....I Test On Animals

Maya is starting her Science Fair project. This is the first year that she is required to do one, therefore it is the first year that she has done one. I don't believe in excessive overachieving. There's enough pressure later on in life. No need to freak a first or second grader out over nothing.

So anyway, we were brainstorming the other night over testable scientific questions. We went back and forth with many ideas. I finally just asked her to choose a subject that she really, really enjoys studying. I was sure it would be volcanoes. She is fascinated with them. (It could be because we live right underneath one and actually have an evacuation plan that is taught in schools in case of eruption......but I digress).

So, she said, "I love my guinea pigs!"

A slow smile spread over my face.

Is there anything funnier and more appropriate (or inappropriate depending on your views) that using a GUINEA PIG in a science experiment?!

I think not.

Her Science Fair project is officially, "What fruit or vegetable do guinea pigs like best?" She is doing this all on her own - keeping a scientific journal, testing a different food every night, measuring the amount of time it takes her guinea pig to cross the floor to the food..... it's fantastic. I will share some of her journal entries with you soon.

experiment #1 - broccoli

Um, it took him approximately 8 minutes to get the three feet to the broccoli - and after testing cucumber, apple and tomato - broccoli is on top as his favorite.

Maya is also finding out in her experimentation that guinea pigs are also slow and (I hate to say it) relatively unintelligent.

Hurray for Science! This is fun.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 8:47 AM, Blogger melissa said...

Adorable...

Very scientific! :D

 
At 9:52 AM, Blogger anika said...

Ooooh. Guinea pigs, good idea. I did a worm hotel (how can you tell my mom was an elementary school teacher?)

 
At 10:51 AM, Blogger Christine said...

Poor guinea pig, he isn't unintelligent, he just really wanted cake.

 
At 2:07 PM, Blogger Janie said...

very creative and fantastic. kudos.

 
At 12:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm really excited about travelling to Bolivia Peru next winter where... they EAT guinea pigs! God, it's going to be awesome to show your girls pictures! Guinea pig al dente, roasted guinea pig, guinea pig ragout...

Maybe we can try a couple experimental dishes when I visit in March? Frere-Jacques is looking mighty plump these days!
(They won't think I'm a bad aunt, will they?)

 
At 7:59 AM, Blogger Shari said...

Ha! You think you're so smart? That's Sunny Cisco not Frere Jacques!

pssshhhh....sisters....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative 
Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.