Thursday, August 24, 2006

Are You Sleeping?

Remember learning the song "Frere Jacques" (sp?) in school? The French version of the song,

"Are you sleeping
Are you sleeping?
Brother John.
Brother John.

Morning bells are ringing.
Morning bells are ringing.
Ding, ding, dong.
Ding, ding, dong."

I always get the French and Spanish versions messed up, so I sing,

"Frere Jacques,
Frere Jacques,
Dormes vous? (This is French)
Dormes vous?

Suena la campana.
Suena la campana.
Din, Din, Don. (This is Spanish, I think...)
Din, Din, Don."

Anyway, one of the girls' guinea pigs, named Frere Jacques, died last night.

*sigh*

I found that he had diarrhea a bit too late. He was very dehydrated and lethargic. I got up every hour last night to coax drops of water into his mouth and murmur over and over, "It's okay, Frere...this will make you feel better."

Well, it didn't.

He died at about 4 am. I wrapped him one of my last good hand towels (man, I really need new towels) and put him carefully in a shoe box. Then I woke up the girls to let them know.

They just stood around the box, petting him, with tears welling in their eyes. And what made me finally lose it is their murmurs of, "It's okay Frere. You probably feel better now."

They are definitely my girls. They may not look much like me, but they definitely have my heart.

He is now, literally, on ice in the cooler on the top shelf of the pantry - awaiting the memorial service and burial this evening. (I felt a bit terrible when I considered making him a toe tag. Terrible, but in a funny way.)

If anyone would like to attend the service (I know it's short notice) it will be at my house at 7:00 pm tonight. Donations can be made to Cavy Companions in lieu of flowers.



Labels:

6 Comments:

At 9:08 AM, Blogger fakies said...

Poor little guy.

I remember the song. My grandmother taught it to us in French, and then I got in trouble for not singing it in English in school.

 
At 9:41 AM, Blogger Philnominal said...

I'll be saying a lil prayer for him tonite...I didn't know him too well but I did notice the guinea pigs in their cage while I was there....its a sad day!

Au Revouir Frere Jacques!

;) and missin you hun!

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger anika said...

Goodbye, Frere! We love you!

When I get a gun I'll do the gun salute thingy in memorandum.

 
At 3:19 PM, Blogger Janie said...

oh dear. sorry to hear. it is a bad month for pets/accessories everywhere (nikol's, mine, marianne's, now yours). -sigh-

give the girls an extra hug from me. (but maybe don't tell them it's from me, that might creep them out since they've only met me once!)

 
At 7:17 PM, Blogger Kingfisher said...

Damn! Those GPs are huge!

Sorry for the girls.

 
At 7:25 PM, Blogger rennratt said...

I learned Frere Jacques in French first. I didn't learn the English version until I was in high school. We were translating it into Spanish at the time!

Sorry to hear about your Frere. Rest well, roam free.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative 
Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.