Sunday, August 13, 2006

Full Circle

Would you mind going and reading this post about my old neighbors Richard and Winny?

Thanks.

Winny passed away a few days ago. I wasn't able to make it to the funeral, but I called Richard to extend my condolences. Of course I offered casseroles, but he was swimming in them thanks to the ladies from his church.

Richard dropped by this evening to bring me a half used bag of popcorn.

"I don't know if you can use this kind," he said, "but I just use the microwave kind. I got a new microwave with a popcorn setting."

He sat down a visited for about an hour and a half. I know that this was not unexpected, but I don't think one is ever ready to lose the love of their life.

Unprodded, he told me the entire story of her last week of life and the moment of her death. He told me about the music that she had picked for her funeral. And also about the last minute addition of "Amazing Grace" that he added.

"It just fit her spirit so well."

As he was leaving he told me that Winny loved it when the girls and I would come over to take care of her feet. She loved the company, not just the bubbling footbath.

He turned around when he reached the door of his car and softly said, "I get pretty stiff in the winter, keep those toenail clippers sharp for me, will you?"

I wiped tears from my face as he drove away.

6 Comments:

At 6:07 AM, Blogger Christine said...

I'm so sorry about Winny. And I think you're amazing, toenail penance or not.

Amazing.

 
At 6:53 AM, Blogger anika said...

Shari, you and your girls are such an amazing blessing to so many people. I love you and I'm sorry about Winny.

 
At 6:05 PM, Blogger rennratt said...

Take him up on it. Make sure to take Epsom Salt with you to soak his feet, too.

 
At 5:29 AM, Blogger Squishi said...

Sorry about Winny's passing, it's never easy for anyone, is it?

*hugs*

 
At 6:43 AM, Blogger Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

What Richard said shows how much he values you, considering the contents of your original post.

 
At 7:03 AM, Blogger tiff said...

I agree with the ultra toast - there is such great value in small things. You're obviously important to him...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative 
Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.