Friday, May 05, 2006

In Honor of Cinco De Mayo and Mrs. Muellar

I took Spanish in high school and college - and at one point before my 300 level conversational Spanish final - I even dreamt in Spanish.

That has all gone by the wayside now. I can barely conjugate the present tense of the most common verbs.

But I remember songs. My high school teacher Mrs. Muellar used to make us sing Spanish songs for each unit of the workbook.

I am going to sing you some Spanish songs in honor of the holiday. Please excuse any misspellings and loose translations - It's been quite some time. I love these songs in particular because so much is lost in translation. I think.

So, without further ado......and no back up band.......

"Uno de Enero
Dos de Febrero,
Tres de Marzo,
Quatro de Abril,
Cinco de Mayo,
Seis de Junio,
Siete de Julio...
San Fermin!

la, la, la, la, la, la, la......

Quien he roto la pagareta?

la, la, la, la, la, la, la.......

El que he roto la pagara!

(First of January,
Second of February,
Third of March,
Fourth of April,
Fifth of May
Sixth of June
Seventh of July.
San Ferimin! (this is some sort of Festival, obviously on the seventh of July)

all la's are the same - you can sing these with an English or Spanish accent. It doesn't matter

Who broke the little container-pot thingy?

la, etc.

Whoever broke it will have to pay for it.)
________________________

Yo soy tu paloma blanca,
Tu eres mi pichon azul.
Aremame tu boquita,
Paracer curu-curu!

A la jota, jota que baila Susita,
A la jota, jota que baila Susita.
A la jota, jota que baila Susita.....

Curu.....Curu.....Curu.......

(I am your white dove,
you are my blue pigeon.
Bring your little mouth over here,
Make it look like you are saying "curu-curu".

To the dance, dance goes Susan
To the dance, dance gtoes Susan
To the dance, dance goes Susan.

Curu...curu...curu - this is basically done by puckering up and saying the curu like a bird call of some sort. Yeah. Don't ask me.)

4 Comments:

At 11:32 AM, Blogger anika said...

These are the best songs ever! I wish I had the tunes.

Now I will sing to you one that has been in my head today and yesterday:

Are we there yet?
No we're not
When will we be there?
In awhile
Dilly dilly dilly dilly
Dilly dilly dilly dilly
[repeat all]

 
At 12:06 PM, Blogger Janie said...

wow shari, that was... special...

anika, do. not. sing. that. song.

 
At 6:54 AM, Blogger melissa said...

Hee.

All I remember from Spanish is the "happy birthday song."

Feliz cumpleanos a ti...

 
At 6:20 AM, Blogger Squishi said...

i am SO glad you translated it. I guessed the numbers (that wasn't hard) but the rest? I'm afraid i'm monolingal. hehe

:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative 
Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.