Sunday, May 22, 2005

Pediatric vs. Geriatric Entertainment

Last night some friends came over to my house and it was the best time we have had in a long time. We started talking about all the games we used to play as kids. Do you remember playing rock, paper, scissors and the winner would lick their pointer and middle finger and smack the losers forearm as hard as they could. The welts would be amazing. I am a bit embarrassed to admit this, but I did play quite a few rounds of this game with Stephanie, who takes no prisoner in the smacking department. She, however, had no idea that she was playing with the zen-master, Obie Juan Canobie (sp) -you're-my-only-hope, MASTER of rock, paper, scissors. I have no idea why, but I rarely lose at that game. (this turns out to be a great way of getting what I want by seeming to leave major decisions up to chance)

And how about "Light as a feather, stiff as a board. Light as a feather, stiff as a board. Light as a feather, stiff as a board."? Bloody knuckles? The hand slap game that I can't remember the name of? Or what about those cool body games including the one where someone holds down your arms by your side while you try to push up against them. You must do this for about 1 minute, then let go and relax and your hands magically float upwards. Or the one that feels like someone is pulling a string out of the center of your palm. Or the one where you pick up a chair by bending over with your head against the wall (at a 90 degree angle to the wall), and then stand up. Only women can do this, men can't. It has something to do with center of gravity.

Then my sister called and did a Vulcan brain meld thing with me and sang all the words to the big hit for young children in my family, "Greasy, Grimy Gopher Guts". It goes a little something like this....

"Great big gobs of greasy, grimy gopher guts,
Mutilated monkey meat
Little birdies' turdy feet.
All stirred up with petrified pelican puke.
Wish I had a spoon."

A cult classic, I tell you.

And if reliving my youth wasn't enough for the day, I also got to put in some practice at becoming a cool old lady. I stress the importance of practicing cool old lady things, on the off chance that one may forget what cool old lady things are. Aging is a mysterious thing. Sooooo... We drank wine, yelled and said bad words, all while playing a rousing game of canasta. I am bad at canasta, but I like it just the same.

So, to summarize, remember your youth, practice for old age.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative 
Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.