Thursday, May 12, 2005

Almost 33 Year Old - Cheap

I was telling my friend Dave why I was not selling myself short by not pursuing a relationship with the cutest and sweetest guy ever. My problem is not that I think that he isn't one of the only ones that would be totally worth it....but that I will fall into the chemical induced pitfall of the biological trickery dubbed "love". By no means am I against love, really. I do believe it happens, but it just DOES NOT happen to everyone. How many people do you know that have been or are currently "in love" with someone. Come on now people..... it is just like the lottery, people convince themselves that even though the odds are astronomical, that somehow - someway - THEY will be the one who wins the jackpot. Hmmmm......

Ever watch the discovery channel? There are chemicals in our brains (and that we emit) that control our reactions to the opposite sex. We are hard wired to reproduce and propogate the species. What a great evolutionary trick to make us really like our mate so as to have sex more often, therefore increasing the chances of us getting pregnant. I feel a mathematical formula coming on .....

x=amount we are attracted to new partner(1-10 scale)
y=number of times we have sex per day
z=percentage chance of getting pregnant while in a "chemical love coma"

So let's say you think he's a "10" and your schedules coincide for sex 3 times per day (I said he was a 10-hello-this should be a minimum)

(x*y)/100=z
(10*3)/100=z
30/100=z

z=.3 and this does not make sense, so maybe the real answer is 30%, or even more understandable would be the answer of 300%.........but I digress.......


This is that honeymoon period of the relationship that always sours after awhile. It makes sense scientifically. Why would we need that person if 1) we are pregnant or 2)we are not already pregnant? Granted, those odds still predict that one in every few million couplings will get it right and match the two people that want to be together forever. That even makes sense. But this "fall in love with every person coming down the line" mentality has got to stop.

The major problem is that we never know if it is chemical or if we won the jackpot until after we have gone through all the crap. Those damn chemicals give us that jackpot feeling every time. Do you really want to be that person that sits in front of the TV of life with your lottery ticket of love clasped in your sweaty hands?

The sad thing is, maybe I do.

1 Comments:

At 9:54 AM, Blogger anika said...

Besides the math part (I am useless at math) I really liked this post. *sigh* no more wondering if I should get back together with an ex-boyfriend!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative 
Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.