Thursday, March 08, 2007

Maya's Birthday

Yes. Yesterday was Maya's birthday. As per the usual routine, we skipped school and work to head out on a great day of adventure.

It is well understood that I am just along for the ride - the day is planned, within reason, by the birthday girl.

So....I give you "Maya's Birthday 2007" (10 years old - OMG!)


It is 5:00 am and we are opening presents. 5:00 AM!!

"The 1506 to King Street Station will be arriving in 6 minutes."

We were lucky enough to ride the train half-way with my friend and co-worker John. He, by the way, tried to get the conductor to wish Maya a happy birthday over the loudspeaker, but it didn't happen. It was a valiant effort and John gets huge kudos for it in my book.

We are off the train and headed into the International District to cause trouble. You don't mess with a gang of girls with Spongebob umbrellas, no-siree-bob. (Or is that no-siree-spongebob?)

Finally, to what I consider the most important stop of the morning - Seattle's Best. (Starbucks is terrible and highly overrated and is bitter and doesn't add the delicious white chocolate shavings on the whip cream. Just in case you needed to know.) Check out Maya's Strawberry Steamer Moustache!

Of course, the inevitable picture at Pike's Place Market.

And ferries. Can't forget about the ferries.

Sophie's face in this picture is the funniest thing I have seen in a long time. I just had to include it.

We walked through Seattle' s new Sculpture Park down along the water. Yes, I know, it's grey - but I love, love, love this area anyway. Our sunshine seems to mean it more when it decides to come out.

The Seattle aquarium down at the waterfront was our next destination. It's always been one of my favorite stops. These are the same kind of anemones that we saw on our Kalaloch trip.

The INSANELY cool fish dome thing. I could sit in here all day.

Who knew that ferns came in orange? These were my favorite things at the aquarium this year.

The aquarium is undergoing a renovation and has now finished it's new "Touch" exhibit. It is humongous and is actually two separate areas. This one was great - hermit crabs, starfish, anemones, sea cucumbers, etc. The other one has rising tides and crashing surf and is a bit more "involved" than we really wanted to deal with.


This cool ramp was worth almost an hour of Heely (those irritating roller skate shoes - you know the ones) entertainment.

We always stop at "Ye Olde Curiosity Shop" to look at the mummies, the shrunken heads, the two headed calf and the pickled pig with two heads, three eyes, eight legs and , strangely enough, two ears. This gentleman wishing Maya a happy birthday is "Sylvester". He is famous.

And this is Sylvia who might look, in her mummified state, to be screaming - but I am actually almost sure she is yawning. No need to be scared.
And now, I present three of my most favorite pictures of the day. Look at them in larger form because they are totally worth it......

The Viking and the Pimp

Hours of fun in this hat section. Literally hours.


Ha! This makes me laugh like an idiot every time I see it.
I hope you all had a fantastic March 7th.
Sophie's adventure will be April 4th for anyone keeping track.





Labels: ,

8 Comments:

At 3:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't have any kids, at least not yet, but when I do I aspire to be just the great kind of mother you already are.

 
At 2:02 AM, Blogger Ant said...

:oD

I think I near weed myself at that Viking and Pimp photo. Brilliant!

What a fantastic day out...

 
At 2:41 AM, Blogger rennratt said...

That was AWESOME!

As a girl who was 'forced' to skip school 2 times per year (birthday is during summer break) - I have news for you.

Since you 'make' your girls skip on their birthdays, they won't likely cut class otherwise.

During my entire school career, I only skipped school to hang out with my parents.

My mother always wrote the same thing on our excuses: "Please excuse Kedd and Renn for missing school yesterday. They were out of town with their parents on family business."

When I asked mum why she was lying, she would say "I'm not. We were out of town, and our actions are our business."

 
At 4:28 AM, Blogger Squishi said...

That's it, i'm putting myself up for adoption by you, my birthdays aren't half as fun as that!

(Ps: happy birthday Maya, i hope you had as much fun as it looks like you had!)

 
At 1:57 PM, Blogger tiff said...

our Thing 2 is going for 10 in a cupla months. I might just have to take his butt outta school and have an adventure, like like you.

Only over here, in NC.

Great pictures - looks like a heck of a lot of fun.

 
At 10:28 AM, Blogger Bobo the Wandering Pallbearer said...

Wow. Yay Maya! Yay birthday! YAY SEATTLE!!! That looks like it was so much fun. I am sui jealous!

(Boo Bobo for tuning in late:()

 
At 2:16 PM, Blogger Janie said...

Happy Birthday Maya!
How exciting. I look forward to your kids' birthday reports almost as much as my own birthday! Haha, i was just thinking, 'i should ask jm to take me on a great day adventure like that again!' You are such a fan-till-tastic mommy!

 
At 10:44 AM, Blogger anika said...

Great pictures! Happy Birthday to Maya from us ... I hope we see you soon, girls!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative 
Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.