Monday, December 03, 2007

Tis the Season

The girls and I have been talking.

We've been talking their entire lives. About anything and everything. They are smart and well-rounded and funny as hell.

And they totally get it.

They brought up the conversation about how artificial Christmas is. It started with them laughing hysterically at some toy commercials. They are sharp enough to point out that Bratz dolls, Barbies and My Scene dolls are all one in the same. Sophie noticed that if parents aren't willing to buy Bratz, they will probably let their kids have My Scene dolls. And everyone seems pretty fine with Barbies.

"I bet they are all by the same company Mom. That way they get the money no matter what. I don't want any Barbies this year. Everyone buys them for us and we have a hundred. I don't even play with them. What a waste of money."

Then we discussed artificial Christmas trees versus real. I like the idea of real, but love the ease of use of artificial. Our old artificial tree was showing its age, so we "Freecycled" it. When out shopping for another I kept walking back and forth in front of this tree thinking, "Oh no. I can't. Can I? Is it ridiculous? Oh my god, I love it. But I can't. Can I?" and on and on.

Finally I did.

The whole Christmas theme was identified. And the girls came up with the final them out of a few different contenders. It is.....

"Have an Artificial Christmas!"




Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At 6:44 PM, Blogger rennratt said...

Oh my God!

Are those BARBIES on the tree?!

Ha!

 
At 6:30 AM, Blogger Ant said...

I think I was just about figuring out that Santa didn't exist when I was their age...

I look forward to seeing their business plan and executive summaries next year.

All the best, and cellulite greetings for the new year! :-)

 
At 9:50 AM, Blogger tiff said...

I love the tree. It's pretty!! Putting hte Barbies on there is truly inspired.

I'm a real tree purist, but daggone if you're not making me think about getting an ancillary fake one to gussy up. That could be hella fun!

 
At 4:50 PM, Blogger Olivia said...

That is spectacular! Great use of surplus barbies.

Have you seen Margaux Lange's jewellery?

 
At 6:32 PM, Blogger Squishi said...

I have never in my life had anything but a plastic tree. The pines they sell here as "Christmas Trees" are not the same as what you guys get - and they stink and have only about 5 branches.

It's plastic all the way for me, and I like the thought of nothing better than decorating it how you want to - whether it be barbies or popcorn :))

 
At 2:29 PM, Blogger Bobo the Wandering Pallbearer said...

Perfect! Sums the whole thing up nicely.

I always-- ALWAYS-- have had a problem with Christmas trees. Don't get me wrong, I love 'em, bu it always seems so wasteful, chopping a tree down just to display it for a couple of weeks and then throw it away. Now we have an 2 foot tall fiber-optic tree that we put out each year. I like it much better!

 
At 1:09 AM, Blogger Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

That looks like some weird medieval torture device for dollies.

Our house will have a real tree this year. I'm not sure if that is a good idea.

Hungover needle-foot = ouch.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative 
Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.