Friday, December 30, 2005

Babysitting Crisis 2005!

I have a different babysitter over this winter break. She is a teenager.

This is not good.

This is a list of everything that happened when I came home from work Wednesday night.
  • Actually, before I came home, she called me and flippantly happened to mention, "Oh, my Mom wants to spend some time with me, so I can't babysit Thursday or Friday." I called her Mom, and she knew nothing about this plan.
  • I got home, said hello to the babysitter, her friend (a girl that I allowed to come over that day), and Maya, then went looking for Sophie. As I neared the bathroom, I thought she was in there with the door open. She always does that. And....I heard a little "tinkling" sound. I waited....and waited....and waited for that sound to stop. The girl does not have that large of a bladder, so I stepped into the bathroom - and into a huge pool of water. The toilet was overflowing. It seemed to be clean water....thank God.....and it was all merrily cascading down the heater vent in the floor.
  • After returning from taking her home I noticed that my front screen to my picture window (that I just bought this fall and it took 2 days to get it on the window right because it was so damn tight) was lying in the middle of my front yard.
  • I opened the silverware drawer to find it totally devoid of anything silver or ware-ish. It was all in the dishwasher. All of it. If I had a dinner party for 15 people, I wouldn't use all my silverware. I asked the girls if they new anything about it. They said that "the babysitter" had been laughing and trying to scare Sophie by.........get this........throwing silverware at her. From the kitchen into the living room. Yeah!
  • At this point, I decided to call her and find out just what the hell was going on. Her friend answered the phone and I suppose it was pretty obvious that I was angry. When I asked for the babysitter to be put on the phone, she hesitated and finally stuttered out, "She's in the bathroom." When I said that I would be happy to wait, she said that, "Uh....well... she's, she's.....throwing up." I was not happy and told her that I could spot bullcrap like that a million miles away and I expected a call back that evening.
  • She called. And denied or had a lame excuse for everything. The silverware incident? Didn't have any answer to that one, just dead silence.
  • I explained to her that I was very angry that she disrespected my home, my kids and my intelligence. She could come (with her MOTHER) to pick up her paycheck on Friday when I got home from work.
  • Her little friend called and left a message on my machine when I was out about how "She feels sorry for "babysitter ". And you are really mean. And you made her cry." I sincerely wanted to throttle that little bitch. If my kids ever do that to an adult that they don't know that was kind enough to let them in their house, I will personally inflict physical and emotional damage onto their sorry behinds.
  • She called me back 4 times when I was talking to a friend. I detest caller ID and won't answer it, but the beeping thing finally had me so angry that I picked it up. She wanted to know why I fired her. WTF! First of all, she quit....she was only working until the end of this week, and secondly - she needed her ass fired.

All this in one day.

And I didn't even mention that on the first day she got in trouble because when I came home these items were all gone...

  1. an entire plate of brownies
  2. 1/2 a chocolate cake (that Sophie had won)
  3. a quart of ice cream
  4. a half gallon of orange juice
  5. two boxes of fruit roll ups
  6. 2 frozen pizzas
  7. and I am sure numerous other things that I didn't notice

I had to talk to her about this on the very first day!

I have another babysitter, never fear. I think the worst is over.

Labels:

7 Comments:

At 9:21 AM, Blogger KOM said...

That's infuriating.

And you may want to mention to her mom something about bulemia. I couldn't even have eaten all that as a teenager playing sports.

 
At 10:48 AM, Blogger anika said...

YIKES! I can't believe that happened -- when I was a teenager I would NEVER have had the guts to do things like that.

 
At 12:15 PM, Blogger Sherri said...

I think Kom is right, maybe the chick does have bulimia. Maybe she really was throwing up when you called (during one of her purging phases).

You really do have a lot of crap happen to you. We truly must have be separated at birth.

I hope the next babysitter is better!

 
At 12:20 PM, Blogger Shari said...

Wow...I never thought about it that way. You might have something there. I still hate her. Grrrrr....

You and KOM need to get together and form a blogging detective agency!

 
At 3:42 PM, Blogger Squishi said...

Maybe the toilet being clogged up was due to all the food thrown up into it - all that food had to go SOMEWHERE, right? Either she chucked it up or had fun throwing it all down there solid-like. Eww.

The worst I ever did when babysitting was sit the kids in front of a movie and play Sonic the Hedgehog continously. I didn't realise how long I'd been sitting there playing until the kids ASKED to be put to bed! Oops! I still feel bad about that one, and haven't played Sonic Since. ;)

As with the throwing silverware - holy. That child has ISSUES.

 
At 1:04 PM, Blogger Christine said...

Yeah, I never threw silverware at my wards when babysitting. I did have to restrain one once. But in my defense, he was almost my size and was beating his sister, and had just pulled the telephone out of the wall. Needless to say, I never babysat Jr. aka the spawn of hell again.

As for the snacking, I used to have major guilt over eating 2 fruit snacks rather than just one. I cannot imagine how anyone would go through so much food. Unless there were many teenage friends involved.

 
At 10:05 AM, Blogger Janie said...

gah! who'd a thunk? time to add "appropriate uses for silverware:" to the babysitter's application form! sounds like it might be time to beat some sense into that girl! ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative 
Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.