Wednesday, December 21, 2005

An Open Letter To My Sister

I remember the day that Mom took those pictures of us by the flowering almond tree. You were taking me over to Grandma's house to swing on the swingset - and I'm sure you stopped to pick some crabapples for me along the way. You always did.

I know Mom always liked to have our family pictures posed, but I am sure that I would have held your hand anyway.

I always wanted to be like you. You are so smart, funny, talented (you can draw!!), and always had the most interesting and cool friends. Oh, and you inherited the flat stomach and I got the poochy one. I know we had our differences in the teen years, but it was my fault. When I realized that I couldn't be like you I tried to be just a cool as you, but in the opposite way.

I'm sorry I hit you that time. Even though you pulled my hair really hard.

I forgive you for launching me into the middle of the lawn during the infamous go-cart wreck that was caused by your inability to tolerate your socks not being pulled all the way up to your knees. Just keep your hands on the steering wheel next time, okay? (And I really hope you are now wearing your socks differently. I'm just sayin'...)

I admire the way that you live your life. You work hard. You travel. You are living the life that you want to live. Not many people can say that. "Not all who wander are lost" is the perfect quote for you.

Thank you for being the one that is always willing to talk about the hard stuff. And I apologize for my reluctance and weeping.

I watch my girls grow up, mirroring us in many ways, and it makes me realize how important having you in my life is. I'm glad that you were born first and had to take on that "role model" thing, because I don't think I would have been as good at it as you have been.

Thanks.

3 Comments:

At 10:43 AM, Blogger anika said...

That is a wonderful letter. Are you going to send it to her in real life?

 
At 2:19 PM, Blogger Janie said...

*sigh* sisters are great.

 
At 8:17 PM, Blogger Linda said...

That was a beautiful letter to your sister. Sisters are the best! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative 
Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.