Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Cold is Relative

Or would that be "A Cold Relative".

My sister works in Antartica. She emailed me this beautiful picture. I don't know if she took it, but for intellectual property purposes, I will cite her as the owner of the image below.



It is worth clicking on the photo to enlarge it. Beautiful, but I would hate, hate, hate it. The sound of snow crunching under boots reminds me of the sound of ice cubes coming out of the tray. My teeth hurt for some reason when I even think of that sound.

Here are some excerpts from her email to me..... she is so damn funny.....

1. There’s a liquor shortage. God forbid. It is cause for great malcontent amongst the McMurdo population. The bars here remain well-stocked, but for those who wish to enjoy a quiet drink in the privacy of their room, a new procedure is in place. Liquor sales avail themselves to the general populace twice weekly. This results in extremely long lines. People actually camp out, sleeping on blankets & chairs in front of the store. It’s rather reminiscent of when Rolling Stones concert tickets go on sale, but sadder.
The most positive aspect of this entire shortage is that it sparks creativity. With RazzMaTazz Raspberry Schnapps being the only alcoholic beverage in endless supply, you have to dig deep. My night shift cronies have created a signature night shift drink. We call it the Raspberry Sleeper Hold: RazzMaTazz & Nyquil. (Truthfully, we just talk about it. No one has been desperate enough to try it yet, but I’ll keep you posted.)


and.....

3. The most reviled meal of last season, Blazin’ Redfish (a spicy deep-fried fish filet), is back again. Frankly, I thought we’d have eaten our way through the supply last season! It appears that Blazin’ Redfish and RazzMaTazz know no limits. Maybe we can create a liquid meal supplement using the two?

So, dearest sister Shannon, I miss you. Keep warm and dream of large women.... No! That's another "Princess Bride" quote....

Keep warm and dream of sunshine and inner tubes.

I love you.

6 Comments:

At 12:50 PM, Blogger Marissa said...

Hi! I just stumbled across your blog today (from Aunt Purl's comment section) and I love it! But, you gotta tell me, why on EARTH is your dear sister in Antartica?? Cool pic from the bottom of the world...by the way. The bottom? Or the top? I can't remember which one's which...:)

 
At 1:45 PM, Blogger Shari said...

Welcome Marissa! Love to see new people! Everyone say hi!

 
At 2:19 PM, Blogger anika said...

Hi Marissa!

*ahem* Shari, I'm not going to yell at you in front of guests, but ... ANOTHER PRINCESS BRIDE COMMENT??? WILL YOU STOP AT NOTHING?!

 
At 9:52 AM, Blogger Lost said...

I'm almost hearing that freaky Twilight Zone music. lol Someone else's blog that I read was just talking about her brother in Antarctica. Cool. Betcha they know each other too!

 
At 2:44 PM, Blogger Shari said...

Marissa...
*She works down there and I don't exactly know what she does, except it has to do with cargo and maybe airplanes.
*It's the bottom of the world :)

Anika
*It will never, never, never end.

Lost
*Cool! I bet they do know each other! How funny! Wouldn't it be weird if it was her boyfriend or something?

 
At 2:07 PM, Blogger Janie said...

Hi Marissa.

Hi Shannon.

Ah, the princess bride. "as you wish..."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative 
Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.