Thursday, May 10, 2007

Track Tryouts

Maya had tryouts for track the other day.

She is in fourth grade. Fourth.

It isn't like she goes to a school that has a huge population. Each grade has about 50-60 kids in it, and they only let 4th through 6th graders try out for the track team.

In her heat of the 100-yard-dash she placed second. Later that day, her entire class missed the announcement (they make an PA announcement?) on who made the team. I told her she could go to the first practice the next morning to see if she made it. And hey....if she didn't originally make it and someone who did didn't show up....

Well, she didn't make it.

She is taking it very well. She admits to being a little disappointed, but overall is relatively unscathed.

I, however, am pissed. Fourth grade? That is ridiculous.

Sophie did manage to lighted the mood the night that Maya found out the bad news by saying, "Yeah, well anyway, Mom? Do you know that sometimes I fart out of my vagina?"

Sometimes all you need is perspective.

Labels:

8 Comments:

At 8:17 PM, Blogger rennratt said...

FOURTH GRADE?

We didn't have tryouts until high school.

Sophie's distraction was one for the books.

Please tell me that you are keeping a Mom's journal for them!

 
At 1:20 AM, Blogger Ant said...

Sophie's take on the situation is indeed one with perspective... :o)

But I'm confused - did Maya not make it because they screwed up the announcing thing? If so, then surely there's room for some serious ass-kicking down at PTA central?

 
At 6:37 AM, Blogger Christine said...

Sophie is the most fantastic.

And I think it is ridiculous that they have to compete for a track spot in elementary school. Forget the fact that she placed second. WTF?

 
At 8:41 AM, Blogger melissa said...

Oh, Sophie. Too, too adorable.

I definitely agree with the entire idea of track tryouts in fourth grade being insane and bizarre. Definitely.

Oh, and tag. You're it.

 
At 11:44 AM, Blogger Janie said...

ROFL. Sisters are so fantastic.
Tryouts for kids are not.

I heard on the radio yesterday that some states (Arkansas?) now include kids BMI on their report cards. Things that make you go, "HUH?!"

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger tiff said...

whoa - I had to read the fart line a few times - hilarious.

4th grade is indeed to early (in my estimation) to "try out" for stuff. There's enough time for competition later in life!

 
At 7:05 PM, Blogger anika said...

Wow, that is so hilarious! Your daughters are so great ... I can't believe they had "tryouts." Ridic.

I tried to call you yesterday to wish you a happy mother's day, but it seems my number I have for you is outdated ...

 
At 2:12 AM, Blogger Squishi said...

HAHHAHAHHAHAH
HAHAHAHHAHA
AHAHHA
AHAHHAHHAHAHA
HAHHAH
AH
AHAHHAHAHA
AHAHHAHA

omg i love your daughters

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative 
Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.