Friday, December 09, 2005

I Cannot Control My Emotional Self

Last night Maya was in her school's Holiday Play/Musical thing. She was one of the chorus and sung her little heart out.

I always am so proud of her when she does these things because she is the shy one of the family. Sophie is just out there and really has no choice except to become a famous actress some day. She dances, she sings, she makes a fool of herself no matter what the situation. Maya is hard pressed to even enjoy this type of thing.

We got there very early and Maya had to go sit on the riser, in her designated spot, even though no one else was there. This is just the way she is. She has a spot to be in and she is there. No deviation. No messing around. So I sat in the empty theater seats and watched her mouthing the words of her songs over and over, intermittently taking huge, deep breathes because she was so nervous.

She just makes me smile.

When the play finally started and Maya opened her mouth and started belting out her part....well, I cried like a baby. Again. Remember this post? The excitement just gets to me. I had finally begun to control myself near the end. But of course the finale got me, once again.
It would have anyway, but my best friend's daughter had a solo. She did such a beautiful job. What a voice. And her presence was just awesome. So the crying continued.

You would think that was enough, wouldn't you?

But alas, the weeping continued.

We got home and just a few minutes after walking through the door I heard blaring Christmas music. This may irritate some people, but in our town it can only mean one thing.

Santa on a firetruck.

Every year the firemen decorate a firetruck all in lights, plop a real live Santa on top (spotlighted), blare Christmas carols and drive around giving all the kids in our town candy canes. They pick a different neighborhood every night and work for at least 2 weeks to get all the downtown neighborhoods covered.

And guess what?

It makes me cry every damn time.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 1:24 PM, Blogger anika said...

Firemen and Santa, hey? Hm. A treat for the kids AND the moms!!

 
At 3:51 AM, Blogger Squishi said...

hey that reminds me. When i lived in Sydney Santa used to come around past my house every year sitting on the back of a trailer and threw lollies. We used to run after him and get them.

Later on when I got old, you only got ONE lolly if you donated money.

My town now doesn't have Santa on a trailer. That's what's missing about this place, community things like that. Apart from the annoying Icecream man, there's no spirit here.

It's what makes suburbs a HOME.

 
At 10:40 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Aww you big baby lolol. That is a really nice story :-)
Now please stop crying otherwise Undr will start too and then were will we be?! His posts will so all sappy for a while so enough with the crying for the rest of our sakes, thanks hahahaha :-P

 
At 10:42 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Umm and I think you need to wind your clock forward 3 hours because it's currently set on Pacific time.
You should only be 5 hours behind me not 8. Still love what ya do, hehe.

 
At 10:36 AM, Blogger Janie said...

hm, santa bearing presents, or a fireman AS a present... such an easy choice!

 
At 11:09 AM, Blogger Shari said...

Just to verify....it is Washington State, not DC.

Confusion - gone! Just like that...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative 
Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.