Tuesday, March 14, 2006

I Love A Man In Uniform

I was a major idiot two weeks ago and merrily drove out of the Kmart parking lot with my wallet atop the Minty Squirrel. It had over $100 cash, my driver's license, my employee discount card (very, very important) and numerous other things inside (the wallet, not the Squirrel).

I had a few people tell me that I should call the police department to check if anyone turned it in. I didn't.

I think I didn't because:

(a) I didn't believe it would be turned in.

(b) If it was turned in it probably would be missing the important stuff (read here: cash).

(c) I secretly believed that I did not deserve it back since I was such an idiot and put it on my car roof anyway.

(d) All of the above (the right answer!)

I answered the phone at work this morning with my usual, "This is Shari," and silently freaked out when I heard, "This is Sgt. Eberly from the Puyallup Police Department, I am looking for a Shari **(spelling last name)***."

Okay, along with my intolerance of "the tone" I also have a residual fear of authority that is part of the luggage I still carry from my youth.

I was sure I was in huge trouble. Huge. (Even though I haven't done anything illegal in years.)

Au contraire!(I have no idea how to spell "The French Words" sorry) The fantastic Sgt. Eberly found my wallet. WITH the money AND driver's license AND employee discount card and all of the other things still intact.

Authority is still scary, but Sgt. Eberly is totally my hero!

4 Comments:

At 1:26 PM, Blogger Janie said...

YAY!! hip-hip-hoooray!! c'est magnifique! i'm so happy for you!! let's celebrate by taking the girls for a weekend in vancouver! :)

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger Janie said...

oh, and i feel your pain; even though i've never done anything really illegal (haha) i am still petrified of cops (and therefore, have developed an unhealthy dislike of them)

 
At 1:37 PM, Blogger anika said...

That's amazing! Hooray for a trip to Vancouver!

 
At 6:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loverly Eberly, he will be known as from now on...

Leave it to you to have an OFFICER OF THE LAW find your wallet.
Do you know how crazy lucky that is, young lady?

xxm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative 
Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.