Thursday, October 06, 2005

Nine Lives

This really terrible thing happened yesterday that has been haunting me ever since. I am hoping if I speak (blog, same thing) about it that the thoughts will just leave me the hell alone.

I was in my van pool going home from work last night. We had just gone through a light when all of a sudden, in front of the van, I saw this little orange and white kitten on the road. This is going to be very hard to explain....

It looked, to me, like it had been thrown out of the pickup in front of us. It was kind of sliding down the road, spiraling - with all four of it's little paws splayed out. We didn't hit it, and the other people in the van looked behind us and said that they saw it run away. They also thought it had run out onto the road and smacked into the wheel of the truck or something.

I was absolutely dumbfounded that no one in the van wanted to stop. I was so shocked that I couldn't even speak. The picture of that poor little kitten in such a perilous position just locked me up. It made me kind of hate those people I ride with, who are for all intents and purposes - great people.

I have not been able to get that kitten out of my head. I was so disturbed that I even bribed my kids into bed with me last night because I knew that it would be all I could think about before going to sleep. It's not that I am a person who hangs cute kitten posters in her cubicle and on her refrigerator at home, it is more the horror of that moment. So small, in so much danger, with no one to help it.

You know?

Ugh.

4 Comments:

At 2:39 PM, Blogger anika said...

Ok I hate cats, but I'd be so sad too. Once I saw a squirrel get hit by a truck and it ran away dragging his tail on the ground behind him and I couldn't stop crying that whole day.

It's hard to get scenes like that out of your head.

 
At 4:07 PM, Blogger Sherri said...

I truly hope that kitten wasn't thrown from that truck. And I can't believe that no one in your van pool wanted to stop.

I once saw someone hit a groundhog (PA ya know) and they actually stopped their car and got out and picked it up.

Another time a dog ran into the side of my van. Seriously. We stopped and the owners came running out and thanked us for stopping. (The dog was ok, we checked back later).

Finally, I once stopped to save a turtle ssllllloooowwwlllyyy crossing a busy street.

Ain't I great?

There....does that make you feel better?

 
At 7:41 AM, Blogger Olivia said...

Your description gets it across so vividly, I feel I know exactly why you couldn't get it out of your head. It's horror. On a small, relatively unimportant scale, but still... I hope blogging it helped.

 
At 9:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would have lost all respect for the people in that van at that moment, especially the driver. It is a good thing I don't work with that person cause they would get a lecture from me, a very intense and emotional one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative 
Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.