Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Apparently I Am A White Honkey Dumb Ass

With work being as crazy as it is, I have very few minutes to monitor my personal work email. Today, the quickly scanned email told me, I was going to be involved in a Diversity Focus Group.

There seems to be much confusion why our company's members and employees are, in a very large part, Caucasian. It seems as if the minority demographic is not that interested in ultra-lightweight camping trips to the backcountry that involve eating meals that heat themselves in their own packages when opened.

Who knew?

Sometimes it all makes me just so....tired.

Anyway...I walked into the conference room, chatting happily with the co-workers that also happened to be attending this session. After a few minutes of talking, I looked up at the woman who was to be leading this little group - she was smiling and staring at me as if I had suddenly sprouted horns.

I smiled uncomfortably back.

She continued to look really uncomfortable, and I started to look around me to get some sort of hint of what I could possibly be doing wrong.

It was only then that I realized that every single person in the room, besides me and the really uncomfortable smiling lady, was male and Asian.

If it had been an SAT question, I would have been the answer.

I then, being the good example of the Human Resources employee, began laughing semi-loudly and then stated, "I guess my focus group must have been YESTERDAY!"

I found it quite wonderful that I could have spend that much time in that room and never realize that something was "wrong".

Diversity, smiversity.

7 Comments:

At 8:55 AM, Blogger Kingfisher said...

I've ranted on "teaching diversity" before. Buncha hogwash. Glad you had the stones to turn it into a joke.

This cracked me up: "If it had been an SAT question, I would have been the answer." Since everyone else was an Asian male, they all would have gotten the answer right.

Join me in Hell?

 
At 10:47 AM, Blogger Ant said...

I love this PC nonsense - you're right, it is so incredibly tiring. But, in common with the arse over tit way these things are taught, they seem to have gone about it in a crazy way - segregate each ethnic group then teach them?

So that one particular group can be patronised in a particular way?

Or maybe they really did call you a white honkey dumb-ass once you'd left! :o)

 
At 6:56 PM, Blogger rennratt said...

I would have grinned, sat down - and asked why they were staring at me.

DARE them to call me out on it!

If (when?!) they did, I would call them on being narrow minded, and remind them about the importance of diversity.

 
At 6:05 PM, Blogger tiff said...

I'm with Renn - I woulda sat down and though "huh, I'm the smart white chick. MINORITIES RULE!"

And then stayed for the free lunch.

 
At 4:24 PM, Blogger BellyButtonFluff said...

I agree with tiff - stay for the lunch. It's all about the food in those meetings anyway :)

 
At 3:38 AM, Blogger Ant said...

You won Shari!

:o)

 
At 6:39 PM, Blogger Lucy Dee said...

Solid, solid courage under pressure, and terribly witty for that matter---and this is coming from a black female comedienne! Nice job! KUDOS!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative 
Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.